Home' Nova National : Nove June 2015 Contents novamagazine.com.au
June 2015 NOVA Magazine
Take your time
So what is mindfulness meditation and
how can it help? Mindfulness is a bit of a
buzzword among the trendy these days,
from celebrities to business tycoons. But it
isn’t a technique you can acquire overnight;
it needs time to cultivate. Put simply, it
involves “being in the present moment”,
avoiding past and future issues, and paying
attention to that present moment in an
accepting way, without reacting to it. It
slows you down and clears your mind for
wiser decisions and actions.
Turn on your windscreen wipers
As Ajahn Brahm puts it, “Not being
mindful in life is basically like driving
a car with a foggy windscreen.”
Yet, as he has also said, diehard
control freaks will make successful
mindfulness meditation difficult to
achieve at first. They will impose rules on
their mind and body: “I must do it this
way, listen to the breath, do this, do that,
sit this way, must not fall asleep while I
meditate”, etc. etc.
To achieve truly alert awareness and
mindfulness, you need first to draw on
the energy of a rested mind and body,
and second to let your mind go free, no
matter where it may wander. Treat it
Ilsa Sharp is a communications coordinator for the Buddhist Society of WA.
like a wayward child or a friend that has
returned, and welcome your mind home.
If you need to sleep, then sleep.
Don’t fight it.
You need to prepare your mind for
the process of mindfulness meditation.
Here are a few tips:
• Be physically well and rested, to
maximise meditation energy.
• Habit is the enemy of mindfulness.
To keep alert, do things differently
now and then – brush your teeth in
a different direction, walk home a
different way; don’t operate on
• Relax, don’t be a control freak, make
friends with your mind.
• Be playful whenever you feel like it, to
nurture happiness. You’re never too old
to be playful.
Cultivate the awareness of NOW.
The 9th Global Conference on Buddhism in
Perth from August 8-9 is for everybody, not
just for Buddhists. For more details, go to
1. ABC Radio National/Sunday Extra, 2 March 2015.
Whether you’re new to Mindfulness
or have been practising before,
these informal Mindfulness groups
provide a supportive space for you to
bring more Mindfulness into your life.
• practise Mindfulness exercises
• discuss aspects of Mindfulness
• share your Mindfulness experiences
Find out more
Tel: 0497 289 817
• Stress • Anxiety • Physical Pain
• Learning Difficulties • Past Life
• Diet • Relationship Counselling
Dip Kin/ Bach Ed AIK Member 176
Drawing on 15 years
experience using mind,
body and inner health
holistic principles, Vicki
gives you a unique,
balance tailored to your
Tel: 08 93145 867
Mob: 0417 786 138
Deb_ItWorks_mar15.pdf 2 11/03/2015 22:59:18
During the Training You’ll Learn Effective
• Change your life and assist others to change theirs
• Create effective suggestions to use in Hypnosis
• Create powerful motivation for change
• Stop overeating
• Quit smoking
• Eliminate stress
• Self Hypnosis
• Use legally and ethically
• Getting insured to begin your practice
This accelerated 3 days training focuses on 4 of the most common reasons why someone will see
a Hypnosis practitioner; quit smoking, performance enhancement, weight loss and stress reduction.
You will be able to see clients at the completion of your training.
The Tad James Co. Australia
Suite 401 / 19a Boundary St, Rushcutters Bay NSW 2011
1800 133 433
P: +61 (02) 9221 9221 • F: +61 (02) 9221 7117
Email: Conor@NLPcoaching.com • Web: www.NLPcoaching.com
Quit Smoking • Performance Enhancement • Weight Loss • Stress Reduction
Your Curriculum Includes:
• Hands-on practice right from the start
• Learn by practice not from watching DVD’s
• Supervision by an experienced Hypnotist & Certified Trainer
• Interviewing techniques to determine the suggestions
necessary for best results
• Suggestibility testing
• Inductions and deepening techniques
• Post hypnotic suggestions
• Introduction to NLP
• Free lifetime support
BOOK EARLY AS TRAININGS FILL!
BOOK NOW $695
LIMITED SEATS AT REDUCED PRICE
CALL NOW ON
1800 133 433
Adelaide: JUNE 19 - 21
Melbourne: JULY 10 -12
Sydney: JULY 24 - 26
Brisbane: AUG 7 - 9
is digital too
Links Archive Nova May 2015 Nova July 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page